Mechanical Design EngineerFull Time.
Job Title: Mechanical Design Engineer
Job Location: East Lothian (or within 20 mile radius)
Department: Automotive Business Unit – Engineering
Reporting to: Senior Automotive Applications Engineer
Job Purpose: To work with the automotive engineering team on various engineering projects.
- Concept generation with solid understanding of engineering physics.
- Packaging and layout generation – Automotive package knowledge an advantage
- Automotive cooling system design – Pipe routing and component sizing.
- Stress analysis, where required.
- Detail drawing creation.
Production engineering support activities such as:
- Development of prototype and production components.
- BOM management.
- Creating part drawings.
- Working with suppliers to obtain samples.
- Resolving assembly or fit and function issues.
- Creation of parts lists, kits and assembly instructions.
- Assistance with quality control, for example inspection of production parts.
R&D activities which are varied, but will include:
- Hands-on testing of parts or complete products, connection of data logging equipment.
- Creation of test plans and procedures as well as writing reports and interpreting results.
- Identification of relevant standards and test protocols.
- Assembly of vehicle and system prototypes.
- Assist with design, building, modifying or repairing production related systems or machinery.
This work requires understanding of thermal properties of materials, thermodynamics, behaviour of hydraulic and electrical circuits, and electronic controls.
Tasks will be set within the automotive engineering team by Senior Automotive Application Engineer.
You will be required to work at the main office at Macmerry and possibly at customer sites with other members of staff.
- Degree Qualified in a relevant Engineering Discipline
- Proficient with Autodesk Inventor or similar
- Good analytical skills
- Good communication and organisational skills
- Experience and skills using MS Office
- Knowledge of automotive engineering beneficial
- Communication skills, both oral and written, as you will need to communicate effectively with a wide variety of individuals and professional groups
- Listening skills and the ability to negotiate with and persuade others
- Team working skills, and the ability to collaborate effectively with others
- Organisational skills, to deal with a diverse range of challenges
- Flexible and creative problem-solving ability
- Decision-making ability, particularly in sensitive areas such as the allocation of funds or organising staff levels
- A methodical approach, and the ability to analyse and process data
- Problem-solving skills, and the ability to find and employ creative solutions
- Numeracy and the ability to analyse complex issues, absorb information, understand data and identify underlying trends
- Adaptability and readiness to challenge existing practices and find alternatives
- The ability to cope with pressure, stress and ongoing change
Education and Skills Required
- Engineering qualification (BEng or equivalent)
- Experience in a workshop environment, particularly with vehicle projects
- Understanding of chemistry and physics to high school level.
Basis and Values:
- Able to respect the basis of, and work with, our values, showing a commitment to, and understanding of the Sunamp Ltd culture.
Is this YOU?! If so, apply today!
Apply For This Position