Mechanical Design EngineerFull Time.
Job Title: Mechanical Design Engineer
Job Location: East Lothian (or within 20 mile radius)
Department: Built Environment
Reporting to: Technical Director
Job Purpose: Working within an exciting and busy engineering team managing all aspects of New Product Design.
- Design Engineering
- Concept generation with solid understanding of engineering physics.
- Packaging and layout generation
- Heating system design – Pipe routing and component sizing
- Cooling system design – Pipe routing and component sizing.
- Stress analysis, where required.
- Detail manufacturing drawing creation.
- Production engineering support activities such as:
- Design and Development of prototype and production components.
- BOM management.
- Creating, reviewing and approving part drawings.
- Identifying and working with suppliers to obtain samples.
- Resolving assembly or fit and function issues.
- Creation of parts lists, kits and assembly instructions.
- Assistance with quality control, for example inspection of production parts.
- Working with Production team to bring prototypes into production
- R&D activities which are varied, but will include:
- Hands-on testing of parts or complete products, including connection of instrumentation and data logging equipment.
- Creation of test plans and procedures as well as writing reports and interpreting results.
- Identification of relevant standards and test protocols.
- Assembly of HVAC and system prototypes.
- Assist with design, building, modifying or repairing production related systems or machinery.
- This work requires understanding of thermal properties of materials, thermodynamics, behaviour of hydraulic and electrical circuits, and electronic controls.
- Tasks will be set within the built engineering team by Senior Mechanical Design Engineer.
- You will be required to work at the main office at Macmerry and possibly at customer sites with other members of staff.
- Degree Qualified in a relevant Engineering Discipline
- Proficient with 3D CAD and Autodesk Inventor or similar
- Good analytical skills
- Good communication and organisational skills
- Experience and skills using MS Office
- Knowledge of HVAC engineering is essential
- Communication skills, both oral and written, as you will need to communicate effectively with a wide variety of individuals and professional groups
- Listening skills and the ability to negotiate with and persuade others
- Team working skills, and the ability to collaborate effectively with others
- Organisational skills, to deal with a diverse range of challenges
- Flexible and creative problem-solving ability
- Decision-making ability, particularly in sensitive areas such as the allocation of funds or organising staff levels
- A methodical approach, and the ability to analyse and process data
- Problem-solving skills, and the ability to find and employ creative solutions
- Numeracy and the ability to analyse complex issues, absorb information, understand data and identify underlying trends
- Adaptability and readiness to challenge existing practices and find alternatives
- The ability to cope with pressure, stress and ongoing change
Education and Skills Required
- Engineering qualification (BEng or equivalent)
- Experience in a factory environment.
- Understanding of chemistry and physics to high school level.
Basis and Values:
- Able to respect the basis of, and work with, our values, showing a commitment to, and understanding of the Sunamp Ltd culture.
Is this YOU?! If so, apply today!
Apply For This Position