Automotive Technical Lead - CoolingEast Lothian
Job Title: Automotive Technical Lead – Cooling
Job Location: East Lothian (or 20 mile radius)
Department: Automotive Business Unit – Engineering
Reporting To: Automotive Business Manager
Job Purpose: Leading the engineering activities on all automotive projects, from concept to production-development, ensuring all systems and components fulfil all the programme requirements (performance, attributes, cost & timing).
Principal Duties and Responsibilities
This is an excellent progressive role for an already established senior engineering manager working within an automotive environment. You will be able to demonstrate driving forward Engineering activities on all automotive projects, from concept to production development, ensuring all systems and components fulfil all the programme requirements (performance, attributes, cost & timing).
You will have experience in ICE, BEV, PHEV and H2FC powertrains to include engine, transmission, cabin and climate, exhaust, traction motor and traction battery. You will hold excellent knowledge of the development of heat batteries and thermodynamics including heat exchangers, pumps, valves, expansion tanks etc. Coupled with the technical knowledge, we are looking for someone who can create and manage Technical Specifications, DFMEA, DVP, DFM, ECR.
Just as importantly as your technical capability is the ability to lead and manage an emerging team in an SME environment. You will be well versed in delivery of projects to time and within budget. Work with external and internal stakeholders as well as provide BOM definition. Excellent at developing people and products from concept to production whilst working with internal departments such as Business Development will require excellent organisationa and time management abilities whilst really developing your help them develop their own career with us.
- Leader of automotive engineering team and responsibility for the delivery of all automotive programmes pertaining to:
- ICE, BEV, PHEV & H2FC powertrains
- Including Engine, transmission, cabin & climate, exhaust, traction motor and traction battery
- Responsible for technical development of heat batteries and associated automotive system inc. heat exchangers, pumps (electric), valves, expansion tanks, pipe system (pipes, hoses, fixing features), and fans and mechanical support structure.
- Support Business Development team, as engineering representative in commercial engagements
- Create and manage Project Technical Specification, DFMEA, DVP, DFM, ECR and Vehicle / System level test specs
- Manage delivery of products to meet Budgets & Expenditure, Timing & Delivery
- Supplier liaison & management
- BOM definition and management to include leading cost & weight reduction initiatives to deliver targets.
- Creation of programme plans, test plans and procedures as well as writing reports and interpreting results.
- Development of technical solution according to timing, budget and specification targets
- Identification of relevant standards and test protocols.
- Assembly of vehicle and system prototypes.
- Assist with design, building, modifying or repairing production related systems or machinery.
Experience and Technical Competencies
- Experienced team leader
- Good analytical skills
- Good communication and organisational skills
- Experience and skills using MS Office
- Knowledge of automotive thermal management (climate and powertrain) engineering is essential
- This work requires understanding of thermal properties of materials, thermodynamics, behaviour of hydraulic and electrical circuits, and electronic controls.
- Proficient with Autodesk Inventor or similar
- Understanding of chemistry to high school level.
- Communication skills, both oral and written, as you will need to communicate effectively with a wide variety of individuals and professional groups
- Listening skills and the ability to negotiate with and persuade others
- Team working skills, and the ability to collaborate effectively with others
- Organisational skills, to deal with a diverse range of challenges
- Flexible and creative problem-solving ability
- Decision-making ability, particularly in sensitive areas such as the allocation of funds or organising staff levels
- A methodical approach, and the ability to analyse and process data
- Problem-solving skills, and the ability to find and employ creative solutions
- Numeracy and the ability to analyse complex issues, absorb information, understand data and identify underlying trends
- Adaptability and readiness to challenge existing practices and find alternatives
- The ability to cope with pressure, stress and ongoing change
Education and Skills Required
- Engineering qualification (BEng or equivalent)
- Experience in a workshop environment, particularly with vehicle projects
- Understanding of chemistry and physics to high school level.
Basis and Values:
- Able to respect the basis of, and work with, our values, showing a commitment to, and understanding of the Sunamp Ltd culture.
Is this YOU?! If so, apply today!
Apply For This Position